space
School Street House - Accommodations
Since 1874
line   Historic Accommodation for Best Island Vacation    line

Welcome to
School Street House

Front Page
The House
History
Constance MacFarlane
Rates
Contact

Hammond Organ Hammond Organ

Vintage 1936 model Hammond BC organ accompanied by Leslie speaker cabinet.

Welcome To School Street House

Foyer
Foyer

The Foyer is where you are greeted by "The Wellington," an original desk from the Wellington Railway Station in West Prince County, Prince Edward Island.

The woodwork with original graining was very likely done by resident neighbourhood grainers, the Howatts. The floors are Island Spruce with original finish dating back to the early 1900s.

Living Room
Living Room

The Livingroom is home to a vintage 1930's Hammond Organ (BC Model) and his trusty partner, the Leslie Speaker. A place to relax and enjoy each other's company.

Dining Room
Dining Room

A formal Diningroom provides an elegant setting to enjoy a wonderful east coast meal.

The beautifully patterned Quaker rug is a real find from the 1920s and is a perfect complement to the original Island Spruce floors.

The Kitchen
Kitchen

You step way back in time when you enter this Kitchen with an adjoining old-fashioned pantry. The electric stove only arrived in 2005 and is the first one of it's kind in the house. Before that, the folks cooked on an old oil stove and before that, a woodstove.

Front Bedroom
Front Bedroom

The Front Bedroom has a queen size bed, wardrobe and antique gentlemen's chest.

The floor is original 1957 Rexoleum.

Middle Bedroom
Middle Bedroom

The Middle Bedroom has a single bed and spare cot, if necessary. Contains a waterfall chest of drawers.

Back Bedroom
Back Bedroom

The Back Bedroom has an old time double bed suitable for one large adult or two children (or smaller adults.) Contains a wardrobe and chest of drawers.

Bathroom
Bathroom

The Washroom is a four piece. Claw foot bathtub and pedestal sink are the originals.


space
The House
School Street House

Charlottetown's Oldest School

Prince Street School was originally known as the Wesleyan Methodist Academy. It was built of brick and stone at a cost of $25,000. The Academy was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on the 9th January, 1871. The Rev. George S. Milligan, A.M., occupied the chair on the occasion.

The school had 14 classrooms and an attendance of 600 pupils with 2 acres of land for playground.

Louis Howatt Jr. from #44 School Street relates that sometime around 1936, the attendance grew so large that boys were transferred to West Kent School, across town, for grade 6 and on. ......

Mr. Gus Mitchell was the resident caretaker at Prince Street School for many years. His residence (#57) was on the premises. His son, George, married a girl who lived across the street named Mary and they went on to have 3 daughters. Later on, Mr. Turner took over as caretaker at Prince Street School.

Long time School Street resident, Robert Farquharson advised that there used to be cinder path (of ashes) from the Prince Street School to School Street. He also remembered the Haviland House and Haviland's Pond in front of the school and an apple orchard on the north side of the school grounds. Mr. Farquharson revealed that back in the 1920s and thereabouts, School Street did have sidewalks made of wood. .........

Full Article

Big History of the Little House

Much of this information was derived from the Land Registry Office, PEI Public Archives, Island Register, University of Prince Edward Island and personal interviews with long time residents, friends and family.

The Old House
School Street House

Since 1874, the Chain of Title of School Street House (#54) has included the following names -- Peter Desbrisay, Francis S. Chandler, Solomon Champion, Henry H. McFarlane, David & Vesta Brown, Alfred T. Bradshaw, Vernon J. & Josie Mae Howatt, Vera & Kathleen Wisener and currently the Barnes'. .......

Constance MacFarlane
Constance MacFarlane
Henry's youngest daughter, Constance (Connie) MacFarlane, went on to become a distinguished Scientist. Friends say that long-time companion, Evelyn Campbell, was a strong supporter and collaborator throughout Constance's career. Dr. MacFarlane was one of the first sustainable environmental scientists, an inspirational teacher and a beloved friend with an indomitable spirit.

Between 1919-1922, David Henry Gordon Brown, then Vesta Brown (nee Crockett) had the title of #54. ..............

Full Article

The People of School Street

School Street or Walthen Drive as it is now known is located in an historic area known as the Charlottetown Commons. Before 1961, Walthen Drive was known as School Street and was so originally named because of the school across the street.

Alma & Helen Yeo, living at #20 School Street, wished to have the name changed to Walthen Drive. The Yeos submitted a petition and without any debate the name was changed at a council meeting. The street was named after A. Walthen Gaudet who was a lawyer and mayor of Charlottetown at the time. Walthen Gaudet owned and lived in Hillhurst House for years (corner of Hillsborough & Fitzroy) down the street from Walthen Drive. .....

Neighbour, Gladys on Marjorie the horse with her Uncle, Alfred Affleck. Gladys was good friends with Constance MacFarlane from School Street House.
Gladys Farquharson

The Farquharson family lived at 58 Walthen Drive from 1914 to 1994. The father, Ernie, was a Conductor on the Murray Harbour train. He and his wife, Fanny, raised nine children in that house. One of their daughters went on to raise her four children there as well. ......

Full Article